This is the Home Page of
William Wistar Comfort II
a.k.a. W. Wistar Comfort, Wistar Comfort, Wis Comfort, W. W. Comfort
- I was born April 19, 1933 in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania
- I graduated from Westtown (Quaker) Boarding School in 1950
- I graduated from Haverford College (Pennsylvania) in 1954
- I received the Ph.D. degree from the University of Washington (Seattle) in 1958; thesis director = Edwin Hewitt
- I married Mary Constance Lyon in March, 1957. We produced two children: Martha Wistar Comfort (1959) and Howard Comfort III (1961)
- I have held academic positions at: Harvard University, the University of Rochester, the University of Massachusetts (Amherst), and Wesleyan University. I came to Wesleyan in July, 1967 and retired in December, 2007.
- I work principally in General Topology, with a specialty in topological groups and cardinal invariants. I enjoy infinitary combinatorics and their applications to topological structures.
- Principal post-retirement hobby/avocation: dixieland trombone.
- Date of death: Not yet determined.
For more biographical and professional details, click here
For a list of publications, click here